Dan Adkins has become rather ‘the man to see’ in the region, for folks facing criminal charges, based solely on his record of success since moving his practice to Minnesota in 1996. Victories include pre-charge declines, evidence suppression in serious cases, count-reduction from murder to misdemeanor, along with multiple verdicts of acquittal, including a complete acquittal in a 9-count second degree murder case in May of 2023. Start your defense here.
Dan has for more than two decades served as the managing partner at a number of criminal defense firms – always getting favorable results for his clients. He is a veteran of countless jury and court trials, and literally thousands of evidentiary, probation, and other hearings. He has also argued close to 100 appeals, including appearing at the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Dan has taught at more than thirty Continuing Legal Education seminars, and he has created and/or hosted at more than two dozen since joining the MSBA Criminal Law Section. He has written and argued four landmark decisions in Minnesota, including the Staats precedent for Miranda in homicide matters, and the St. Claire rule relative to custody credit. He is fortunate in that his clients have helped him become a leader in the criminal defense community.
In addition to this extensive experience throughout Minnesota, Dan has been admitted via local counsel rules (also called Pro Hac Vice admission) in Federal Courts in New Hampshire, Rhode Island, North Dakota and Montana, as well as state courts in Montana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri and Virginia. His reputation precedes him, and he is sought out by individuals facing serious criminal charges literally anywhere.
Dan is a proud husband to his wife and prouder still of his two growing boys. He enjoys being amazed and confused by his sons, reading, traveling, and officiating baseball at the collegiate level.
Licenses and Bar Admissions
- Pro Hac Vice admission in Federal Courts in New Hampshire, Rhode Island, North Dakota and Montana, as well as state courts in Montana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, North Dakota,
- Allegheny College, Meadville, PA–1987-89
- Alden Scholar; Dean’s List, every Trimester in attendance
- University of Minnesota, Bachelor of Arts, 1989-1991
- Cum Laude
- Degrees in Philosophy, English Literature; Minors in Classics, Political Science
- George Mason University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1994
- Top 25%; Dean’s List
- President, Association for Public Interest Law
- State v. B.G.
- Charges: 3 counts each of: Attempted 2nd Degree Murder; 1st Degree Assault; 2nd Degree Assault with a Dangerous Weapon
- Resolution: Acquittal at trial on ALL nine counts.
- State v. J. G. T.
- Charges: Criminal Sexual Conduct, First Degree/minor complainant
- Resolution: Acquitted after trial, four counts.
- State v. J. H.
- Charges: Criminal Sexual Conduct, Third Degree
- Resolution: Dismissed with prejudice on eve of trial
- Click here to view more of Dan’s case results
- Super Lawyer, 2016-Present – Awarded to lawyers determined to be in the top 5% in the State. A patented process by an independent company recognized Dan for his professional achievements, peer recognition, and devotion to the practice. He is one of a select few attorneys statewide to be a Super Lawyers Criminal Defense attorney.
Dan is a leader in the Criminal Defense bar, having served in various capacities, including:
- Criminal Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association – Served as Chairman in 2014-15, among other positions
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Board of Directors Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Association of Public Interest Law – Former national committeeman